Minnesota Twins Baseball Systems Developer
Subject: Job Postings: Minnesota Twins
1. We are currently accepting all applications for the full-time position of Baseball Systems Developer. A full job description, including functions and qualifications, is listed below. Interested EXTERNAL applicants should apply online via www.twinsbaseball.com/jobopportunities. INTERNAL applicants please apply via the ADP self-service portal. Please contact me with any questions or if you have any referrals. Thank you!
Baseball Systems Developer
The Minnesota Twins are seeking a Full Stack Software Developer to join the Baseball Research and Development group. This position offers wide-ranging exposure to current programming methods and frameworks in a fast-paced agile environment. With creativity and passion, this candidate will collaborate with the Baseball Operations staff to develop, deliver, and maintain data driven solutions for player evaluation, player development, and leading-edge baseball research. This position requires strong full stack web development skills and experience as well as a demonstrated ability for independent curiosity and a commitment to excellence while working within a team framework. Strong communication and interpersonal skills will enable the candidate to enjoy direct relationships with product users.
• Work closely with all groups within the Baseball Department including Baseball Operations, Scouting, Coaching, and Player Development to develop, maintain, and expand strategic web and mobile baseball applications.
• Design and develop web services and APIs to be consumed by web and mobile applications.
• Create easy to understand interfaces and reports with data visualizations that showcase data and analysis in a creative and effective way for a variety of different users and use cases.
• Use an agile software development approach for quick roll-outs combined with incremental improvement process to existing systems and environments.
• Work closely with Infrastructure team to ensure secure, scalable, and high-performing applications.
• Provide courteous and timely first-level contact and problem resolution for all Baseball Department users with application issues.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field or equivalent work experience.
• Software development experience, including requirements definition, design, development, testing, implementation, and iterative improvement.
• Experience with SQL, relational databases, and database design.
• Familiarity with data visualization and graphical packages such as Tableau, Power BI, D3.js, or ggplot is a plus.
• Mobile development experience a plus.
• Strong work ethic, initiative, and problem-solving skills.
• Interest in optimizing user experience through effective UI/UX design.
• Understand software development best practices and long-term maintainability of code.
• Strong curiosity and interest in researching and learning new technologies as needed.
2. We are currently accepting all applications for the full-time position of Motion Data Analyst. A full job description, including functions and qualifications, is listed below. Interested EXTERNAL applicants should apply online via www.twinsbaseball.com/jobopportunities. INTERNAL applicants please apply via the ADP self-service portal. Please contact me with any questions or if you have any referrals. Thank you!
Motion Data Analyst, Baseball Research & Development
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Provide data, insights and recommendations related to player motion tracking technologies.
• Develop and implement data analysis, data collection systems and other strategies that optimize statistical efficiency and quality.
• Organize complex new data sources related to player motion.
• Process, cleanse and verify integrity of data used for analysis.
• Collaborate with a wide range of team employees. Communicate findings to performance staff, coaching staff and baseball operations.
• Research new techniques and best practices within the industry.
Qualifications, Skills and Abilities:
• Bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or doctoral degree in kinesiology, exercise science, biomechanics or related field.
• Data analyst experience, ability to interpret and analyze statistics.
• Experience with statistical programs such as R, Python, Matlab, SPSS, Stata.
• Excellent communication skills (oral, written and presentation).
• Must be a critical thinker and self-starter.
• Travel may be required.
• Bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or doctoral degree in statistics or related field.
• Previous scientific study of motion, particularly human motion.
• Love and understanding of baseball.
• Previous work with a sports team.