BEAM Prototype a Design Career
Tuesday, May 24th, 6:30 - 8pm
First Floor Conference Room - BEAM, Stanford Career Education
Karen Lum, STS '11, will discuss her journey in the design industry, from Co-Founder & Product Manager of a social enterprise designing affordable breathing assistants for pediatric patients in South Asia, to a Digital Documentation Intern, Product Design Associate, UX Designer, and now a Video Producer. At this interactive Expert in Residence event, Karen will:
- Cover the different types of design careers
- UX vs. UI vs. User Research vs. Product Design. Consumer vs. Enterprise. Product vs. Marketing
- Facilitate an interactive exercise to get you thinking like a designer
- Tell you how to break into UX design in Silicon Valley
- Provide tips on how to prep yourself now for a design career later
Outside her day job, Karen’s mission is to help college students transition into independent adulthood. Combining this passion and her love for video production, Karen createdWomanly State of Mind, a Youtube Channel to inspire and educate young women to create meaningful careers, develop healthy financial habits, and tackle all of that scary stuff that comes with growing up. She can't wait to meet you and answer your questions!
This event is a perfect way to get the inside scoop about design as a field from an industry expert, and get hands on experience to see if design could be a fit for you.
Dinner will be provided so please RSVP on Handshake here: https://app.joinhandshake.com/events/15462.